Bulletin 2021-08: Hurricane Ida Voluntary Mediation Program
In response to widespread impacts on the State of Louisiana by Hurricane Ida, the Louisiana Department of Insurance issued Bulletin 2021-08 on October 15, 2021. The purpose of Bulletin 2021-08 is to establish a mediation program for all insurers and their policyholders in an effort to resolve Hurricane Ida claims as efficiently and quickly as possible.
Pursuant to the Bulletin, the policyholder may make a written offer to its insurer to engage in voluntary mediation, and if the insurer accepts, mediation shall proceed pursuant to a set of terms and conditions, several of which are found below:
- Mediation is designed for insurance claims with amounts in dispute of less than $50,000.00
- Mediation must be held using an approved mediation service
- Mediation is set on a fast track which requires all parties to submit all relevant documentation in a relatively short period of time.
- The mediation will take place within thirty (30) days of the assignment of a mediator.
- All parties must negotiate in good faith.
- Homeowners may retain an attorney to represent them at mediation and to prepare their case.
- The insurer shall disburse the specific dollar amount agreed upon by both parties within ten (10) business days of the mediation.
- The cost of the mediation is fixed and shall be paid by the insurer.
- The mediation shall only take ninety (90) minutes.
- The Program will expire on June 30, 2022.
If you have questions about your Hurricane Ida claim or want to discuss if this mediation program is an option for your claim, please do not hesitate to contact our office.
To get in touch with us, please call or text us at (504) 372-6175.