From The Desk of Paul L. Carriere
Re: Hurricane Preparedness 2020
With Tropical Storm Cristobal bearing down on the Louisiana Coast, it is a grim reminder that it is important to be prepared for this hurricane season, which the NOAA predicts to beespecially active. Hurricanes and even Tropical Storms can cause life and property threatening hazards such as high wind, flooding, and storm surge. In order to protect your loved ones and valuables, consider the following checklist.
1. Check your disaster supplies and replace or restock as needed;
2. Bring in anything that can be picked up by wind like outdoor furniture and plants;
3. Close windows, doors, and hurricane shutters or stock up on plywood to board up spots vulnerable to wind or projectile damage;
4. Turn the refrigerator and freezer to coldest setting and keep them closed as much as possible so that food will last longer if the power goes out;
5. Make sure propane tank valves are turned all the way off and unplug small appliances;
6. Fill your car’s gas tank;
7. Develop an evacuation plan with your family;
8. Listen to your local authorities;
9. Take photographs of the interior and exterior of your house in case of damage;
10. Don’t wait until it’s too late.
I hope that you and your family stay safe this hurricane season, and if there is anything that I can do to help, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Paul L. Carriere